Professional Moving Tips
- Move on a weekday if possible – banks, utilities and government offices are open.
- Change your address online in a matter of minutes with USPS Address Change – this service is free and easy to use.
- Keep a utility log to check service transfer dates. Keep your light and water on at your current address for 1 or 2 days so that you can go back and clean up once your move is completed.
- Defrost and clean your refrigerator and stove one day before your move.
- Find a sitter for your pets with friends or family. Animals can become confused and frightened during a move.
- To save time, choose a room to pack a few items each day.
- Pack small appliances in the original container or a cushioned box with wadded newsprint or bubble wrap.
- For major appliances, check with the manufacturer for special moving instructions. Have your refrigerator, washer and dryer disconnected and ready for the movers to move to your new home.
- Pack books in small boxes so they won’t be so heavy. Reinforce the bottom of the box with extra tape to prevent it from giving out.
- Mark each box with an inventory list and destination room. This way your movers will know where each box belongs at your new home.
- Always stack dishes upward when packing.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Be sure to pack important and memorable documents in a separate box. For example, health insurance, family records, passports, photo albums and jewelry for easy accessibility.
Call today or email a list of inventory for your FREE estimate!